28 June, 2012

2012 Logo Bashing - its the taking part that counts

Can I just wade in please, on the London 2012 logo argument? I know I am late to the party, but it's the participation that matters, right?

Its unavoidable. Its everywhere. And each time I see this dreadful, awful logo and the accompanying font, it provokes such a violent reaction that I'm a bit scared of myself. But in the main, I’m just embarrassed. Embarrassed that our Olympic visual legacy is just such a pile of pointless, unwashed pants, that I am afraid the history books might just erase it entirely and replace it with the Coca Cola branding, or worse yet, the ubiquitous holy Apple just to plug the gap.

Don’t misunderstand me... I’m not Olympics bashing. I’m as excited as a puppy with a full bladder about the games coming to the greatest city on earth. I’m also as proud as a sports-day mum of our athletes’ dedication and commitment to sport (something I dabble with when it's not raining, or too humid, or a Weekday). But that is what makes the disappointment in the logo all the more jarring - it should be epic, iconic, massive, brilliant, shock-and-awe-inspiring and instead it's just a bit well... rubbish.

Here’s what Get Set London 2012 has to proudly say about the logo;
The construction and palette of the London 2012 logo has been considered very carefully – thinking about font, colour and image.

Colour

By using interesting shapes and angles, and bright vibrant colours the logo creates a sense of energy
The brand colours are a modern twist on the colours of the Olympic symbol. The colours are inspired by the world of media, communications and fashion.
MP: So, in fact… not the Olympic colours at all then.


Buzz!

The addition of the buzz outline (seen here in yellow) adds to the feeling of energy.


MP: Are you buzzing yet?


Powerful images

The logo or emblem is the year 2012, something everyone can recognise and feel part of. It aims to be simple but bold.


MP: Recognise? Five years after its launch and I only just found out that those shapes are supposed to represent 2012.
Clever fonts
A special typeface was created for London 2012. It is used for all communications and key messages. It is intended to convey energy and dynamism. The logo captures the spirit and energy of the London 2012 Games.
MP: Less said about this type face the better. Can’t see it being bundled with the next Adobe pack…

The Contenders

Here are a few that, IMHO, should have at least made the podium:

Bronze: MIND THE GAP

Is there a more recognizable or iconic brand than the London Underground? It’s at the heart of the city and connects all of London’s boroughs and diverse communities together in one genius spaghetti network.

Then how appropriate would it have been for the brand of this class-less transportation network to feature at the centre of London 2012. Alas it was not to be…

Silver: BIG BEN

Credit for this design goes to Joe Brust
I’m not crackers about the font on this one either, but it’s a striking design and its iconic – which is exactly what I expected the London 2012 to be – instantly recognizable as London. The colour palette is cool, but would just as easily work with the Olympic colours too.

Also, I’d like to see Big Ben look more like Big Ben, and less like a minaret, but that’s just semantics now…



Gold: EASTENDERS

And then there was the logo design for the original bid, which I think was and remains rather lovely (but I am a lifelong follower of the all things Walford). The Thames, the other great central feature that connects all of London, is central and iconic. Did I already mention that the logo should be iconic? Oh, ok.

We did afterall, win the bid on the back of it (and several million quid, lots of hard work and politicing etc etc), but that does rather suggest success, doesn't it? Plus, it was already bought and paid for. Cha-ching, keep the change, thank you very much.


PAST PERFORMANCE

Then again, in the context of all the previous Olympic logos, perhaps London 2012 isn't such a bag of hammers. Aside from the original Olympic Rings design, there isn't much here that inspires awesomeness amongst this mixed bag - though I think Athens 2004 might have come the closest. But if the Greeks can't own an Olympic logo now, who can?


That is all. Carry on with your day.

No comments:

Post a Comment