07 April, 2013

Home Grown

Continuing the theme of consuming less this year, i am also attempting to grow more too. I made a start last year with some spuds, peppers, tomatoes, chillis and courgettes. Quite successful for my first attempt.

This year i wanted to start from seed and try a little more. So, the seeds are underway, so far so good.

I will give them a couple of weeks to grow in the little mini green house i have in the kitchen, then will transfer to the raised beds i am making in the garden - made out of reclaimed wine crates. How appropriate is that? :-)

It's certainly not that cheap to grow your own, especially in the beginning. Farmers have cracked economies of scale in a way i can never acheive. But based on last years' first attempt, its a lot of fun, very interesting and i'm learning a lot about my garden, the soil and how to grow veg organically.

Nigel Slater is my inspiration. I love the way he cooks straight from then garden or allotment. That's fresh!.!@





No comments:

Post a Comment