Things do need to be bought along the way. I know this will happen and when it does I vow to buy either second hand or quality goods and consider the source before price. I can afford to be more discerning in my decision-making. I don't mean just financially. I'm at a stage in my life where I have a lot of stuff. A house full of furniture and household goods and clothes and shoes and accessories and and and.... There is very little I 'need' any more. So its about deciding how much I want the new thing and at what cost. Spend an extra ten minutes having a good think about the latest {insert must-have item of the month here} and resist the sudden rush of retail blood to the head.
So, how am I doing? Nearly three months into the year and its time for a review.
Purchases...
Electronic hair curler
Dress for a wedding
2 x running tights
2x running tops
2x running socks
Better than usual, but admittedly I'm still slacking. My world would not collapse if I had chosen not to buy any of these items. So to offset some of the afore mentioned consumerism, I am selling some clothes ebay, which is also a first (I bloody hate ebay).
So then I thought about this some more and realised I could do more with this. In a total arbitrary system created in my head, I allocate 'consume' points for each item purchased offset against 'conserve' points (at 50% approx consume value) for items sold on and 100% for anything reused, recycled or repaired. Got it? Good.
Here's the balance sheet then...
| Consume points | Conserve points | ||
| Electronic hair curler | 50 | 4x Dresses selling on eBay | -200 |
| Dress for a wedding | 100 | Handbag repaired | -50 |
| 2x running tights | 50 | Suitcase repaired | -50 |
| 2x running tops | 50 | ||
| 2x running socks | 10 | ||
| Haircut (no colour!) | 25 | ||
| Total | 285 | Total | -300 |
Net running total for 2013: -15
So in my total arbitrary balance sheet I declare that i am currently on top. But I know its going to be easy to slip into old habits and with summer hopefully around the corner, it will be very difficult to resist the pulling power of shop windows. So, I am off to look for some second hand shops in preparation and denim patches are on today's shopping list to repair some ripped threads....
No comments:
Post a Comment