On Saturday I ran 9 miles, which is my longest run in over two years. A milestone of sorts, but still only just over a third of what I need to acheive in October. It isn't so much marathon day that I fear, it's breaking down before then that freaks me out.
Last time, I made it to four weeks before the big event before a chronic injury brought me tearfully to the conclusion that I had to face facts - it wasn't going to happen. Ironically, it was the day of the Great North Run, which I then limped home to emotionally sit through on TV. It was not a good day.
But that was then and this now. And this time my only goal is to make it to the start line uninjured and with a race number pinned to my shirt. What happens after that is just the icing on the cake.
The Strongest Motivator
![]() |
| Running for Tick Tock |
And what a strong motivator that is. I didn't realise until I was in the middle of my run on Saturday how much it is now pushing me along too. As is often the case when running, my mind starts drifting off to think whatever it is to keep me going - started imagining me, David, Beth and Martin running around the last bend into O'Connell Street and knowing that we'll be doing it for Tommy.
Will we make it to Dublin? Stay tuned...
You can contribute to David's fundraising for Addaction in memory of Tommy by clicking on the Just Giving link at the top right of my blog.
Will we make it to Dublin? Stay tuned...
You can contribute to David's fundraising for Addaction in memory of Tommy by clicking on the Just Giving link at the top right of my blog.
Note about this post: Not sure if I should really add such personal posts to this, my business blog page. But I am my business, and my business is personal to me, so it's difficult to have one without the other. You decide...


No comments:
Post a Comment