![]() |
| Don't Cut Your Prices; Instead Add Value |
Price is not everything, but customer service is.
Let's take my hairdressers as a prime example of why not cutting back on little extras during the lean times has proved to be a very cute strategy for improve sales and no doubt profitability.
Let me start by saying that I do pay top dollar for my hair treatments and I am fully aware of that. I mean it's not quite London pricing (remember, I am in Germany), but it isn't far off. And I don't care. That's not to say I have money to burn, far from it. But for four hours every five weeks or so, I simply do not care what the end result will cost.
It's worth it. Not just for the brilliant cut, the rich colour or the fabulous style, which occasionally on a good day I can almost recreate at home. It's worth it for the four hours of uniterrupted all-about-me time. The service is not sycophantic or claustrophobic, it's simpy attentive, professional, polite and laced with treats. I often work during this time (I'm writing this blog now), but not until I have received a complimentary head massage, hand massage, bottomless glass of prosecco, selection of snacks, and a lightly toasted panini that is sent for upon request, or rather submission.
These treats are not necessarily expensive but one imagines they could be first in line for the chop (pardon the pun) during tough times. But here's the nub, the perceived value is high, huge even. And the brains behind my salon simply stood his ground kept the goodies flowing. And so the customers continued to flow also, and I believe quite regularly.
I won't lie, the last 18 months or so has involved some serious financial cut backs for me (and the rest of the world). But rather than choose a less expensive salon or opt for (god forbid) self-styling, I simply moved my 3-weekly appointment to five or sometimes six, and came home empty handed rather than with a bag full of expensive salon recommended shampoos (actually they rarely suggest, let alone push which is a pet hate for most customers). But I did not cut back on the key service that I went in for - cut, colour and styling. It adds up to a pretty packet when you factor in 8 -9 visits in a year.
I'm a loyal customer. I've lived in Mannheim 8 years and only ever had serious relationships with three hair stylists and only two salons. The first one ended after the salon decided they were always too busy for my custom unless I gave them six weeks notice; the second simply because the stylist moved on (she didn't even leave a note, I was heartbroken) but I stayed with the salon and tested a new stylist. It was a tense first appointment, they always are... whilst I am happy to experiment with my hair, never with my stylist. But as it turns out it was love after the first cut. Then the salon changed ownership and the relationship was cemented forever. Well, forever so far, and they never seem to take that for granted, not yet anyway.
So, what I am trying to say in a rather protracted and long-winded kind of a way is... when times is tough don't necessarily think about what you can cut... rather what value you can add.
And if you are at all interested in experiencing the best of hairdressing and customer service then you could do worse than The Parlour, Fressgasse, Mannheim. My stylist is Sandro but everyone there is faulous and quite beautiful and for four hours every six weeks or so, I am a little bit too.

No comments:
Post a Comment